Prairie Star members have free access to the guild library containing over 500 books, DVDs, and CDs. It is thought to be one of the largest collections in the Midwest. The library features topics for every level of ability and genre. New additions are made each year to accommodate the latest trends of interest to quilters. Recently, these include “modern quilting”, English paper piecing, applique and art quilt techniques. The collection also has many fiction books with quilting themes.
The library is open to members at the monthly daytime and evening guild meetings, with a couple of exceptions depending on the meeting schedule. Items may be checked out for one month. Suggestions for new titles is encouraged. Materials checked out can be renewed in person, by phone, or email. A fine will be charged for late returns.
The library database can be viewed on the computer at home or at guild meetings. Library Thing, a web based service, allows author, title, and subject searches to be done.
Please read the “Search Tips” below, it will answer many questions you may have regarding finding a particular kind of book.
Library Search Tips
1. The PSQG library booklist is displayed under the label “Your Books”. This is the place to begin a search.
2. Search words are entered in the “Search the Library” box. Do not use “Search Site”.
3. Author, Title, or Subject (Tags) searches can be done.
4. An author’s last name will bring up any titles by her/him included in the guild library.
5. One key word from a title may be enough to generate search information.
6. Subject (Tags) is a third category available for obtaining search results. Included in the tag for each book is a color code. The meaning of the color codes is in the list below.
7. Use the “back arrow” to return to the original booklist.
Tag Color Codes
Blue – Dating Quilts/ Historical Quilts
Red – Fiction
Green – Quilting, Green H – Hand, Green M – Machine
Neon Green – Seasonal, Holiday, Baby, Children
Patchwork – Orange
Blocks – Orange B
Quilts – Orange Q
Techniques – Yellow
Applique – Yellow A, Wool Applique – Yellow W
Design – Yellow D
Embellishment/Art – Yellow EA
Paper/Foundation – Yellow P/F